[mythtv-users] Unable to get video playback in MythTV

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at best.com
Tue Oct 12 21:47:53 UTC 2004

Brian,

you don't mention what your audio system is.  On board ?  Probably
Intel8x0 ?  That would be helpful information.  To make a long
story short, your best bet is to switch to ALSA sound and stay
away from OSS.  OSS should die the death it deserves.  It's pretty easy
to install ALSA ontop of redhat, though my preference is plain vanilla
2.4.27 + ALSA 1.0.6a compiled with "-Os -march=i686" for your particular
setup.  Why Os instead of O3 ?  Well you have a celery and it has a tiny
cache, so if you optimize your kernel for a small footprint it allows
the L1 and L2 caches to work better.

Yan