[mythtv-users] Why only numeric IP addresses work?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 12 19:53:21 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 14:12, Scott Mazur wrote:
> I'm going to re-drege this thread.
>
> My local network is setup on DCHP.  Other than the DCHP server box,
> all the other boxes (including the myth master) are assigned
> dynamically.
>
> When it comes time to setup another frontend box on the network, I'd
> like to just point it to the name of the myth master, but instead I
> have to set it to what really amounts to a temporary IP address.
> Now, realistically, the IPs assigned will probably never change on my
> local network, but hard coding a dynamic IP address kind of defeats
> the purpose.

Other folks have already chimed in about how to give your boxen static
IP addresses, so I'll refrain from adding to the mix there, but...

> Is there any plans for Myth to resolve host names?

That would be the job of a nameserver.  If you don't have one on your
network you could set up your /etc/hosts file with the correct
hostname/IP address mappings (this also would require static IP
addresses).

-JAC