[mythtv-users] HDTV on Myth -- is it a "myth?"

jack jr at jrh.net
Tue Oct 12 19:19:10 UTC 2004

Let me say first that all of my previous comments where based on using the
original 2.6.6 pchdtv patch on a 2.6.7 kernel and mythtv cvs as of a couple
months ago. I just stopped using it (hdtv in mythtv) because it was largely
worthless to me. Playback never needed much cpu (60-70) even with 1080i on
my 720p dlp but it crashed constantly and the audio was so flakey as to be
useless.

All of the comments on these threads made me want to go and try it again
though, plus I had no idea about version 1.3 of the pchdtv drivers. Grabbed
those, applied them to a fresh copy of 2.6.7 and hot damn I was in business.
I could switch between cbs, wb, nbc, abc, pbs and fox with out a problem
once I got the antenna to show at least 70 signal strength for all of them.
I told it to record a whale special on pbs which it did. I tried playing it
back and it still worked. Not only did it work, it worked beautifully. I
couldn't believe it. I couldn't even crash it by fast forwarding and
rewinding repeatedly as fast as I could. I need to see what happens when it
starts recording some other shows on different channels but I am incredibly
impressed so far on the progress made. I could never watch the WB before, no
problem so far, will see how it does tomorrow night with Smallville.

Wondering if it is worth it to apply the Ulmo1.4 patch, I don't care about
ntsc at all.