[mythtv-users] Re: mpeg2 playback performance issue makes no sense

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Tue Oct 12 19:17:21 UTC 2004

Grant Edwards wrote:

>>>AFAICT, Myth's SW decoding/playback functions are an order of
>>>magnitude slower than those used by xine and mplayer.
>>>

>>All of the above use the same underlying code (libavcodec).
>>You've got a configuration problem if you can't play things
>>back properly.
>>

>Any suggestions on where to look for such a configuration
>problem?  It would be pretty cool if I could use my laptop as a
>front end.

So...since mplayer, xine, and myth all use the same underlying libs to do
play back, isn't it reasonable to expect that playing the same file in
any one
of these should result in nearly identical processor usage numbers if
configurations
are close to the same?

As Grant states, if it is a configuration problem, what are the most likely
items that could so drastically affect the amount of processor usage?  My
first guess would be deint after that, I wouldn't have a clue since I'm not
using any filters or other fancy stuff.

--

Michael J. Lynch

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown