[mythtv-users] HDTV on Myth -- is it a "myth?"

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Oct 12 18:30:52 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 10:49, Brandon Beattie wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 10:45:10AM -0600, John Patrick Poet wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Brandon Beattie wrote:
> > > As for hard drive access causing the audio/video corruption I doubt it,
> > > because I've rewound and watched the segment again and it is still
> > > there.
> >
> > I have watched a show just a few minutes behind as it was recording.  My
> > backend was doing lot's of other tasks and I was seeing pixelization.  I
> > could rewind, and see the exact same pixelization.
> >
> > I shut down those other tasks, and the pixelization went away.  I could
> > rewind back to the begining and see the pixelization, but once I caught
> > up to the point where I shut down the other processes, the corruption was
> > gone.
> >
> > I never see any errors in the mythbackend log indicating it could not
> > write to the disk fast enough, but it sure looks like that can happen.
> > Maybe it is not a problem with myth writing the file, but with myth
> > reading from the HD-2000 buffer fast enough?  Maybe the HD-2000 driver
> > needs a larger buffer?
> >
> > John
>
> I've wondered about this for some time, but have not had time to prove
> it.  I also thought that the kernel should take care of holding the data
> in memory until it has the time to write it to disk? Am I wrong with
> this thought?  Adding a buffer may be helpful though.

This would appear to be one of the things the 1.4ulmo patch on top of the
pcHDTV 1.3 patch does. David George's words in the "HD-3000 and 2.6.9" thread
(forked off this one) about the 1.4ulmo patch:

"There appears to only be three types of changes (a larger buffer, different
timeouts, and true pre-eq signal strength)."

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...