[mythtv-users] Re: HD-3000 availability (was: HDTV on Myth -- is it a "myth?")

Mon Oct 11 18:10:14 UTC 2004

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Cory Papenfuss wrote:

>       Slightly OT, but does anyone know the status of:
>
> - HD-3000 card status, and
> - HD-[23]000 support for QAM?
>
>       I looked through the code once and looks like "pseudo"
> open-source... i.e. regular data structures and device setup, but then a
> *huge* chunk of obscure hex data to blindly dump to the card to make it
> go.  If QAM could be made to work on this thing, I'd say it's a no-brainer
> of a card to go with.
>
> Thanks,

Based on the latest email I received from Jack, they are still hoping to
ship HD-3000s by the end of the month.  They will know this sometime this
week and will start take orders if that time-line works out.

The HD-3000 hardware is definitely capable of doing QAM, but it will be a
while before Jack has the time to write the driver support.

I recently found out that my local cable company sends out HD in unencrypted
QAM, but at such a high frequency that most tuners cannot lock onto the
signal.

John