[mythtv-users] HDTV on Myth -- is it a "myth?"

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Mon Oct 11 18:06:15 UTC 2004

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 01:39:31PM -0400, Cory Papenfuss wrote:
> 	Slightly OT, but does anyone know the status of:
>
> - HD-3000 card status, and
> - HD-[23]000 support for QAM?
>
> 	I looked through the code once and looks like "pseudo"
> open-source... i.e. regular data structures and device setup, but then a
> *huge* chunk of obscure hex data to blindly dump to the card to make it
> go.  If QAM could be made to work on this thing, I'd say it's a no-brainer
> of a card to go with.
>
> Thanks,
> -Cory

 I probably should open a new thread for this but anyway..  I took a
little trip over to pcHDTV and took a fresh box (except the new hd-3000
driver was working on this already) and installed Mythtv.  Nothing odd
came up at all.  Myth started right up, live-tv and recording.  TV
signals also worked, which the dev from pcHDTV didn't think would work.
The HD-3000 uses Video4linux 2, and everything but the signal check
should work using regular v4l.  .. They're going to see why signal
checking does work. :)  So no need to worry about support for the
HD-3000, it works right off.

 Now for QAM.  pcHDTV does have the micro code for the QAM on the
HD-3000 card.  This means support will be coming.  pcHDTV was not able
to get the microcode (yet?) for the HD-2000 and it's a shot in the dark
at getting stable QAM support working on the HD-2000, but it's not
impossible.  It would probably be easier to try and convience them to
give pcHDTV the microcode than hack at it from how things were stated to
me.

 Other than QAM, there isn't much difference in what people can expect.
There's a little more multi-path rejection in the hd-3000, but not
enough to make a deal of.  That's really all to say.

 Pre-sales are to start in the next week or two, shipping a week or two
after that.

--Brandon