[mythtv-users] X Windows redisplay via ssh

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 11 11:43:44 EDT 2004

On Sunday 10 October 2004 21:05, Michael Fenston wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > 3) Is is possible to merge my original xorg.conf and xorg350.conf
> > files together so I can see the same output on both at the same
> > time? My test TV is a little blurry so I would like to be able to
> > continue debug with the monitor for awhile.  My plan is to really
> > test this well before putting it out in the living room (again).
> > Ticked the wife off the first time around!  That is my advice to
> > all after my SageTV experience.  Use the TIVO (or VCRs) until you
> > have all the quirks worked out of whatever PC based PVR you
> > eventually decide on! :)
> >
> > Possible, yet.  Stable, probably not.  Most of the time when
> > running X on the PVR-350 framebuffer, having a video card driver
> > installed causes significant instability.  I tried to debug that
> > way, but found it caused too many problems, so I just hooked it to
> > the TV (where I couldn't read a bunch of stuff), and used X Windows
> > redisplay via ssh to work my way through the setup section.
> >
> > HTH.
> >
> > Mike
>
> Hello again ...
>
> This message is directed toward Mike Dean but help from anyone on
> this appreciated ...
>
> I now have X Windows running on my small TV using the PVR-350 TVOUT
> and would like to be able to redirect everything on that screen to my
> laptop running WindowsXP somehow so the text is clear for debugging
> and centering the picture on the TV.  I only have 1 machine (this
> mythtv box) running linux at home so figured I could use my laptop
> running Windows VNC or Windows SSH ... I found this program called
> PuTTY for SSH.  Both these programs let me login to the mythtv box
> and do something ... I can launch X applications with Windows VNC and
> I can get a telnet like session going with PuTTY but I'm not sure how
> to get stuff to go in the reverse direction ... IE: whatever is being
> displayed on the TV getting moved to the laptop somehow.  Any help
> appreciated ... is there a HOWTO somewhere on this?  Can someone fill
> in the missing links on what to do here or a better approach?

I'm not clear on what you want to do... do you want to: (1) have a
remote display mirror your TV (i.e., some display on a laptop showing
exactly what is simultaneously on your TV screen), or do you want (2)
to be able to run mythfrontend and have it show up on your laptop
instead of the TV?

If (1), you need a VNC server on the Linux side that is capable of using
a 'live' X11 display.  Try this:  http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/

If (2), you need to install Cygwin and set up an X server, as several
people have already indicated.

Good luck,

JAC