[mythtv-users] X Windows redisplay via ssh

Travis Kelley rhatguy at comcast.net
Sun Oct 10 21:27:07 EDT 2004

This is probably not really a question for the mythtv mailing list as
your question referrs to remote x display but whatever.  You need an
xserver for your windows machine.  There are a few ways to go about
this.  There are programs like exceed or xwin which are xservers only.
They accept connections from x clients (your mythtv machine) and display
programs on your normal windows desktop.  When you telnet to the mythtv
machine you simply set your display like this
export DISPLAY=laptopip:0.0
Then when you run an x based program it will be displayed onto the
laptop's xserver.

One way to do this with opensource software is to load up cygwin.  Its
really overkill for just an xserver but should suit your needs.  I'm not
terribly familiar with cygwin but you should be able to find plenty of
documentation online for setting it up.  Hope this helps.

Travis