[mythtv-users] HDTV on Myth -- is it a "myth?"

Joe Barnhart joebarnhart at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 11 00:21:02 UTC 2004

--- Doug Larrick <doug at ties.org> wrote:

> I can use either a 1920x1080i mode with no
> deinterlacing, or
> 1920x540p with bob deinterlacing; they look
> basically identical until
> you activate a zoom mode (at which point bob looks
> better since the
> interlaced mode is no longer line-for-line).

Hmm.. Doesn't something seem fundamentally wrong about
this?  Why should 1920x540 look the same as 1920x1080?
 I presume you looked at the screen pic I posted of my
setup playing (XvMC) 1920x1080i w/o deinterlacing.
It's horrible.
(http://www.pbase.com/jbarnhart/image/34300421.jpg)

> Have you read the recent ALSA discussions on the
> -dev list?

Yes. I downleveled ALSA to 1.0.5 with no change in
symptoms.  I'm outputting AC3 via optical out.  Oddly
enough, if I "hide" my sound output device I can get
Xv to play the 720p stream at full speed with no
sound.  XvMC still runs at half-speed, however, even
with no sound.

> XvMC is a PITA because of the way it barely fits
> into the Myth video
> output architecture.

I have not found any development docs which hint at
this architecture. I'm not afraid of C++, but it makes
it a little difficult to contribute to the project
when the only documentation I can find is the source
code.  I just lack the time to invest to figure out
the architecture on my own.

>  You can't apply filters; you
> have to deal with the
> fact that there are fewer in-flight video buffers
> (frames); seeking is
> more difficult because the decoder has to have all
> the reference frames
> for non-I frames, etc.  Software decoder is just
> more flexible.

I think my needs are very simple.  I have an output
device that is locked to 1080i.  I want to play 1080i
streams unmodified to the output device.  720p streams
will have to be rescaled to 1080i on playback, and so
will 480i or 480p.  I just want to view recorded TV
programs and DVDs.  If the video processing does the
"right thing" there should be no need for filtering,
right?

I have noticed that my "myth" question has not
received a flood of messages like "I'm using it and it
works great."  Jarod and I are running Athlon systems
with mucho trouble, and I've had responses from three
Pentium users (yourself included).  Of the P4 users,
two are working fine and one is not.  I guess just not
many people are using Myth with HDTV monitors yet.
>From the breathless MythTV promotion by EFF
(http://www.eff.org/broadcastflag) I would have
thought HDTV were a lot more debugged.