[mythtv-users] High CPU / Lockups. Diagnosis?

mark mark at onnow.net
Sat Oct 9 12:40:55 UTC 2004

I am looking to reduce the load on my new Myth Box.  It seems very high.
Just watching live tv puts the load to anywhere between .80 and 1.70

Info on setup:
Celeron 2.4GHZ
512 RAM
single PVR-250
NVidia 5200 TVOUT
SB 5.1 card
120gig SATA drive
( this setup should have plenty of horsepower from what I have been
reading )

Fefora 2 following Jerrods howto. ( including the xfs / video partition
)
I have changed no other settings at all.

mythtv-backend-0.16-80.rhfc2.at
kernel-module-ivtv-2.6.8-1.521-0.1.10-48_pre2_ck100zz.rhfc2.at
ivtv-0.1.10-48_pre2_ck100zz.rhfc2.at
perl-Video-ivtv-0.12-5.1.rhfc2.at
ivtv-firmware-2.02.023-3.at
kernel-module-lirc-2.6.8-1.521-0.7.0-38_pre7.rhfc2.at
lirc-0.7.0-38_pre7.rhfc2.at
lirc-lib-0.7.0-38_pre7.rhfc2.at
( do you need any other version info? )

So, I am also seeing some lockups.
When I got up this am, the load was 1.71, mythbackend was taking 42% of
the CPU and the frontend was frozen.
I restarted the backend and that reduced the load but did not free the
frontend.  I had to kill mythfrontend and restart it.
I am seeing no log message errors in var/log/mythtv/*

I have seen allot of people saying there are problems with commercial
detection/highload/crashing. Could this be it?

What can I try to fix this? It only ran for 12 hours before crashing.
Do I need to use some different version numbers of some packages?

Thanks for the help