[mythtv-users] Matrox G400: Blue screen watching TV or recorded programs

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 8 23:54:20 UTC 2004

Alan,

You don't say what Linux distribution you're running,
or what version of XFree86/Xorg you're using, but I
suspect that you're facing an Xorg bug.

On some drivers (including the Matrox mga driver),
there is a problem with memory allocation for XVideo
objects, and this would cause the blue screen you're
talking of.  I've seen this as well when trying to use
a Matrox G400 recently, but I got the blue screen on
both my monitor, and my TV set, if I recall correctly.

Do you also see messages like this in the mythfrontend
logs?
X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient
resources for
operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  141 (XVideo)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  19 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  57

If so, that confirms that it's an Xvideo problem.  You
can work around it (but not truly fix it) by adding
the line 'Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps"' in your
Xorg.conf file, under the "Device" section.

I've never been able to get my G400 to work with an
XF86Config, I've always had to use fbset.  Every time
I generate mode lines with fbset -x, I alwasy get
invalid (according to the X server) values.

-- Joe