[mythtv-users] Re: Transcoded file not playing back on PVR-350 out

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Oct 8 00:47:58 EDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 09:29:27PM -0700, Jarod Wilson wrote:

>>> file and then rebuild MythTV), and then select MPEG2 output
>>> format instead of MPEG4 or RTJPEG.  Then you'll have to arrange
>>> to run the commerical-flagging program with the -rebuild flag
>>> to regenerated the seek database for the file.
>>
>>How would I do this?

You can either issue the SQL command to select MPEG2
transcoding, or you can add the choice to the menu list in the
C++ source file, and rebuild Myth -- then go in and select
MPEG2. I posted detailed instructions to the list a week or two
ago.

>>Has anybody already hacked the C++ code for transcoding to
>>MPEG2?

Yes, didn't I say that?

>>Will this even compress the file enough to make it worth it?

Depends on the definition of "worth it".  It allows you to
delete commericals, but  if you want N bits/second, you're
proably better off just encoding at that rate to start with.

> The files recorded by PVR-x50 cards all start out as mpeg2
> files, so there's no point in transcoding them to mpeg2. Cut
> out commercials and save a resulting file without them, yes,
> but that's not transcoding.  (Can't remember what the status
> of support for that directly in Myth is).

The code to transcode to MPEG2 is there, and it seemed to work
when I tried it, but the option isn't present in the setup
menus.

--
Grant