[mythtv-users] Tv Overlay with Nvidia and Sony HDTV

Cory Tucker Corydon.Tucker at Sun.COM
Thu Oct 7 21:01:24 UTC 2004

Jarod Wilson wrote:

>On Thursday 07 October 2004 11:30, Cory Tucker wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm trying to piece together my MythTV box and I'm almost there.  I have
>>two problems remaining, 1) I can't get any audio (I'll save that one for
>>later) and 2), I can't get my display to not have overlay on my TV.
>>

>I believe you mean overscan, not overlay.
>

>>I have an Nvidia GeForce4 4400 using DVI out to my Sony 57" HDTV.  I've
>>tried many different modelines from Jarod's guide, and a couple other
>>sources, but I just can't get it to not overfill the screen.  I'm using
>>the latest nvidia drivers (6111).
>>

>Have you looked at how I'm doing this in my HD xorg.conf file? (I just updated
>the version posted on my site in the last few weeks). Basically, there isn't
>any easy way to not overscan, so you have to run a lower resolution inside
>the timings for an actual HD resolution. For example, I'm now using xrandr
>with an 880x480 mode inside 540p timings for the GUI and a 1760x960 mode
>inside 1080i timings for HDTV playback.

I'm using the "in540p" mode from your file.  That brings it the closest,
but it still crops the picture on all sides.  I have tried modifying
that modeline somewhat, but I wasn't really able to get it to change at
all.  This 880x480 mode you have fits perfectly on your screen?