[mythtv-users] changing bitrates

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Thu Oct 7 21:04:20 UTC 2004

At 21:26 07/10/2004, you wrote:
>This may be a very stupid, but I want to downgrade my bitrate or maybe
>even resolution.  I am outputing to a simple 21" TV that is of
>mediocre quality usincg a mixture of composite and RCA cables
>throughout the cable box -> mythbox -> vcr -> tv.  In short, I don't
>think I need to be capturing at whatever the default rate which is
>around 2 gigs /hr (and I am starting to run out of room).
>
>How do I lower my bitrate settings?  I have scoured the archives and
>looked throughout my database to see where it is entered with no luck.
>  Can anyone give me some guidance?  I know I will feel like an idiot
>when I get the answer ;)

Urm, can't remember where exactly, but you can either access the default
encoding parameters through mythsetup, or though the TV settings in
mythfrontend. I'm assuming you're using a PVR-x50 or similar, although I
expect the procedure is the same for software based cards.

Just alter the "default" settings to whatever you want; you can even
capture to MPEG1 if you want!