[mythtv-users] Help with ivtv & sbp2 mass storage on bootup

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Oct 7 17:38:49 UTC 2004

On Thursday 07 October 2004 05:39, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > > Problem #2:
> > > When I reboot (using a FC1 setup from Jarod's guide; mythbackend
> > > started
> > > from /etc/init.d/mythbackend; I think it's the last thing to run),
> > > I don't get a 'good' ivtv initialization.  I don't have the
> > > mythbackend log messages or the /var/log/messages output right now,
> > > but basically every time I reboot I immediately have to:
> > >    - modprobe -r ivtv
> > >    - modprobe ivtv
> > >    - /etc/init.d/mythbackend restart
> > >
> > > It's gotten to the point where I made a button in the Myth menus to
> > > do this for me, but I'd really like to be able to use the
> > > auto-wakeup feature, which means I need a fully working backend
> > > from an unattended boot sequence.
> >
> > How about just putting that sequence in /etc/rc.local?
>
> Yeah... I was actually thinking about putting it right into the /etc/
> init.d/mythbackend script, so that if unloads/loads ivtv every time it
> starts up.

That works too. I did that at one point in the distant past.

> Since the only time I restart mythbackend is for a reboot,
> it should work.  I was just hoping to address the problem more
> directly, rather than just addressing the symptom.

I hear ya. I don't have it auto-loading right now, but ck100zz loads perfectly
the first time every time on my RHEL3 workstation (which currently has a
single M179 in it)...

> > Going back to
> > my last ph, I haven't seen a bad load since moving my M179 to be the
> > second card to init.
>
> Interesting... I *have* noticed that it's usually my first card that
> degrades the most... makes me wonder if popping my old bt878 card back
> in as a dummy would help (would love to have a 3-tuner system, but my
> Athlon 1600+ XP just won't handle it).  Of course, I'd need a free PCI
> slot, and for that I'm out of luck...

Not sure if the bt878 card would serve the same function as my 250 does wrt
M179 stability/initialization...

> > Oh, and what ivtv version are you running? If
> > you're still using 0.1.9, you might try bumping to ck100zz from
> > ATrpms...
>
> Yep, still using 0.1.9.  I've actually been thinking about upgrading,
> just waiting for the right moment.

Just saw something else from another M179 user saying that bumping to the very
latest firmware has improved picture quality significantly, maybe it'd help
w/initialization and/or longer-term picture quality also. I need to try that
out myself...

> > > Problem #3:
> > > Not really Myth-related, but... I have an external FireWire hard
> > > drive that I use for mythmusic & mythvideo content.  This drive
> > > does not get auto-mounted.  I have a script that rescans the SCSI
> > > bus every time the sbp2 module is loaded/unloaded; the script runs
> > > during the boot sequence
> > > but doesn't detect the drive; if I unload/reload the sbp2 module
> > > after the system is completely booted, the drive is automatically
> > > recognized and I can easily mount it.  Any suggestions?
> >
> > Mount the drive from /etc/rc.local, or hack your initrd to include
> > the sbp2 module (and dependencies) and load it right off the bat, so
> > the drive can get mounted at the same time as the rest of your
> > mounts. The problem is that FC tries to mount all partitions before
>
> Yes, again, I was hoping to get more to the root of it.  I've already
> got some stuff in /etc/rc.local (specifically, 'rescan_scsi_bus ; mount
> -a' ) that was meant to eliminate this problem, but I suppose I'll just
> have to bite the bullet there, too and unload/load the sbp2 module.

My guess is that your problems would go away if you had sbp2 loaded from your
initrd.

> Thanks for your suggestions; I think I'll give the ivtv-ck100zz a try;
> it certainly seems like folks have been seeing good stability with that
> version.

No problem, and good luck! I'm off to dig out the new firmware... :-)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...