[mythtv-users] Cheap Microtel-good or bad for MythTV

Fernando myth.users.list at f123.org
Thu Oct 7 12:58:28 EDT 2004

Hi everyone,

For those of us new to Linux choosing the hardware is a big deal.
I'm looking into buying a cheap Microtel from Wal-Mart and thought it wise
to first ask if anyone has anything good or bad to say about them.

The URL for the machine and some specs are below.
I am specifically worried if it will be too noisy and if the "200 MHz
frontside bus" will cause any noticeable bottlenecks for MythTV if used with
a PVR-350.

My plan is to get Mandrake, more RAM, a DVD burner, and maybe a 200 Gb
Seagate I heard was quiet... Anything I'm overlooking?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2642766#long_descr

AMD 1.6 GHz Duron processor with 3DNow! Technology
200 MHz frontside bus
128 MB DDR memory, expandable to 2 GB
One PC266 DDR DIMM socket available
Integrated 10/100 ethernet connection
Integrated Graphics up to 64 MB, default setting 16 MB
Integrated 5+1 channels AC '97 audio
128 MB DDR memory
Not included: Hard drive, CD-ROM drive, modem, floppy disk drive, operating
system

Thanks for any feedback.