[mythtv-users] Group advice sought on setup please.

Christopher Flynn flynnguy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 09:28:35 EDT 2004

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 09:03:34 -0400, debian at nc.rr.com <debian at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> I just tried that...  I've been using the 350 tv-out for over a year now
> with no problems at all, before that I used the tv-out of my nvidia card
> and it was horrible for watching sports and it looked worse than my TIVO.
> IMHO the 350 is easier to set up because you don't ever worry about sync
> problems, never have to worry about colors or resolution _AND_ it does
> the interlacing correctly.
> BUT the problem is that the 350-TV out is only good for TV and not much
> else.
> I just tried the VGA-Component converter... really easy to set up... or
> at least to get to work but then I have problems with sync and the
> colors and the resolution and the overscan and worst of all, the
> interlacing is all screwed up! you watch a football game and it make you
> laugh... I hope I can find that receipt or soon you'll see a barely used
> VGA to Composite converter.

I would actually suggest a video card with S-Video output as the best
solution. VGA was meant for monitors and I've heard lots of people
with success stories but probably as many people with horror stories.
The PVR-350 is a good option if all you want is TV but since the
original poster wants to use it for DVDs as well then I would really
recommend a video card with DVI, S-Video or Composite out (depending
on your tv) on the card as this is fairly easy to set up and I think
it offers the most flexibility. If room is an issue and you have no
space for a video card or cost is an issue then the PCR-350 is
certainly a viable solution.
-Chris

--
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Gandhi