[mythtv-users] new hauppauge cards

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 4 19:16:03 EDT 2004

On 10/04/2004 05:46 PM, Dr NoName wrote:

>Looks like Hauppauge has 2 new cards.
>
>1. PVR-150. Looks exactly like PVR-250 except that
>it's missing VCD encoder. I own PVR-250 and I don't
>even know what VCD encoder is. It looks like a cheaper
>version of PVR-250.
>
>2.PVR-500MCE. Dual-tuner! Unfortunately no remote
>control.
>
>I was going to ask if somebody tried these cards yet,
>but it looks like they were just released. The
>Hauppauge web site hasn't been fully updated. But
>anyway, they look interesting.
>
>here: http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/compare_pvr.html

Although they were just released, they have been discussed on the IvyTV
ML's over the past couple of months.

Threads begin at:
PVR-150:  http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/Sep-2004/msg00769.html
PVR-500:  http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/Sep-2004/msg00411.html

PVR-150:  http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/Sep-2004/threads.html#00769
PVR-500:  http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/Sep-2004/threads.html#00411

I highly recommend reading the full threads.

Short version:  It seems that both cards are using the Blackbird design
(Conexant CX2388x), so they will not work with IvyTV.  You will need to
get, test, and possibly continue hacking the Linux cx88 driver patched
for blackbird ( http://www.foks.8m.com/cx88-blackbird.html ) to get
support for the cards.  Jelle Foks has been working to get initial
blackbird support into the cx88 driver and has made great progress, but
it is still less mature than the ivtv driver, and probably needs
modifications to work with these cards.

Mike