[mythtv-users] upgrading MythTV from RPM to CVS version

Micah Wedemeyer fanmail at micah-wedemeyer.net
Mon Oct 4 12:24:20 EDT 2004

I just got myth installed on my Epia box following Jarod's guide.  However,
I'm not using hardware MPEG-2 acceleration yet.

I read that the newest CVS version of myth has support for the xvmc decoder
written by the Unichrome project.  So, if I can get xvmc working on my
machine, I would definitely like to use it with myth.

To my question:  How can I go from the RPM version of mythtv to the CVS
version?  I've compiled other programs from tarballs before, so that's not too
scary, but I am a little worried about overwriting the RPM version or possibly
messing up the RPM database.

Do I uninstall the RPM first, then install the CVS version?  How do I
uninstall an RPM?

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Micah