[mythtv-users] Bluetooth Question

Steven mythmail at richardstraat.homedns.org
Mon Oct 4 07:43:02 EDT 2004

Renaud Desarzens wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 8:17 AM, David Whyte wrote:
>
>>Sent: Monday, October 04, 2004 8:17 AM
>>To: Discussion about mythtv
>>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Bluetooth Question
>>
>>An obivous use would be as a remote control :P  I was hoping to work
>>on this once I get a Myth box, but this is looking like being light
>>years away :(
>

> Having a "light MythTV frontend" running on a bluetooth capable PDA.
> Wouldn't it make a great remote to control the real MythTV frontend/backend?
> MythTV is really a great piece of software! The only thing I'm missing is a
> remote control with an integrated display allowing me to control MythTV like
> most of us do now via our TV set. But when just listening to music (audio
> CD, MP3, OGG, internet radio, FM radio, ...) it would be great not to have
> to power on the TV set because of that. Having the MythTV frontend displayed
> on my PDA screen would even replace a lcd display.
>
> Now that I'm thinking about it more and more... Is it possible to use a PDA
> display which acts as X server? Couldn't we then run the MythTV frontend gui
> on a PDA? Are there any X servers available for PDA (palm and/or pocketPC)?
> Do we then need to have linux enabled PDA's?
>
> Renaud

You could run mythfrontend in a 320x240 (or whatever) vncserver on your
backend and connect to it with your PDA. There are VNC viewers available
for every PDA out there.

Or you get yourself a linux based PDA (like a zaurus) and run a full
frontend on it. Wireless tv wachting on your PDA, now that is geeky :-)