[mythtv-users] mythtv dialog focus and guide problem

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 3 00:59:36 EDT 2004

On 09/28/2004 04:37 AM, Tomi Makinen wrote:

>My setup is getting better and better every day, but I still have two
>things that
>I have not been able to fix. I have FC1 installed with jarods guide.
>
>First is that sometimes when I open delete or recording or some other
>dialog, it is not focused. I have to retry few times or use mouse to
>focus the dialog. Is there any way to correct this ?
>
>Another one is that sometimes when I open the program guide, I can only move
>the box once before it stalls. I just cannot do anything but go back.

Definitely a focus problem.  How do you fix it?  Don't know--I've tried
a plethora of WM's, but I can't find out why certain (types of) Myth
windows don't get focus.

However, I do have a workaround.  It's an ugly hack, but it works.  See

Just make sure the MythTV window does not start at 0,0.  For a friend
who had this problem and is using a projector (and, therefore, had no
overscan settings), I modified the GUI position to 1,0 so that the pixel
0,0 is outside the MythTV window.  By exiting and re-entering the MythTV
window with the mouse cursor (assuming focus follows mouse--i.e. Sloppy
or Semi-sloppy focus), full focus is returned to MythTV and all its dialogs.

The problem only exists after another (non-Myth) window receives focus.
Therefore, for all my commands that start other GUI apps (like xine), I
put " & movemouse" at the end of the command line (works better than the
shell script in the original post if you have spaces in your filenames).

HTH, and I wish I had a solution instead of an ugly workaround.

Mike