[mythtv-users] Alsa underrun

nate s nate.strickland at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 16:08:30 EDT 2004

Hi

As I am a bit new on the list, first I'd like to say thanks to all the
mythtv developers for such a great software.  I've been really happy
with it.

I do have one small problem though.  Audio is crackly and sounds
horriable in either livetv or when watching a recording.  I'm using a
loopback cable to the soundcard (onboard audio, though I threw in a
sblive to test and it didn't make a difference)  If I simply unmute
the input, such as for watching tvtime, the sound is crystal clear.

If I run aplay /dev/dsp, it sounds crackly like in myth, and gives:

Playing raw data '/dev/dsp' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
underrun!!! (at least 23.270 ms long)
underrun!!! (at least 24.247 ms long)
underrun!!! (at least 24.245 ms long)
underrun!!! (at least 24.471 ms long)
underrun!!! (at least 24.475 ms long)
underrun!!! (at least 24.485 ms long)
underrun!!! (at least 24.245 ms long)
underrun!!! (at least 24.475 ms long)
underrun!!! (at least 26.497 ms long)
underrun!!! (at least 22.243 ms long)
(underruns continue, one each second or so, until I stop it)

I have googled around for this, and found a few others with the same
problem, but no solution posted.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
-Nate