[mythtv-users] The real basics...

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Nov 29 23:00:59 UTC 2004

On Monday 29 November 2004 13:43, Bill Sutton wrote:
> 2.  I am following Jarod Wilson's for building my Myth Box.  So far I have
> downloaded the FC3 core, burned the CD's and installed it according to
> Jarod's instructions (which he JUST updated this weekend for FC3).  I might
> add that the first time I tried the install, it locked up immediately after
> the partioning section.  I had to start over.  Upon first boot up and
> logging in as Root, I get a completely no-frills X screen with two windows
> on it: a terminal window and some funky clock thing.  Is that all I'm
> supposed to see?

Crap. Forgot about that. It looks like RH did something stupid with FC3, and
defaults to twm if you only choose KDE at install time, while FC2 and prior
would default to KDE if it was installed. Just type "switchdesk KDE" in that
terminal window, log out, and log back in. You can also select the
environment you want from the "Sessions" button on the login screen, but it
doesn't stick.

> 3.  Jarod's instructions say to install the "Kernel Development" option,
> but this did not appear in the list for the FC3 installation.  I have seen
> this and am familiar with Kernel building, but how do I actually get the
> Kernel Development options?  Does this amount to getting the kernel source
> file tree?

Crap, that would be an error on my part, failure to remove no longer relevant
stuff. Red Hat no longer ships a kernel-source (or kernel-sourcecode)
package, just the kernel .src.rpm, so you have to jump through extra hoops to
get a kernel source tree that matches your running kernel... It isn't
necessary unless you're compiling your own kernel modules anyhow.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...