[mythtv-users] svideo max resolution...

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Nov 29 08:04:11 UTC 2004

On Sunday 28 November 2004 13:18, Ijaaz A. Ullah wrote:
> Is the maximum displayable resolution over svideo 640x480?  I've been
> having problems getting anything beyond that...  it would be nice to have a
> 16:9 display over svideo.

In NTSC land, the best you can actually get over SVideo is 720x480, in PAL
land, 720x576. No matter what you're feeding out the SVideo from the computer
(typically 1024x760, 800x600, 640x480) gets scaled by the TV Out chipset to
720x480 or 720x576. You can't get anything more, SVideo doesn't have the
bandwidth for it.

That said, I did feed my HDTV via SVideo for a while, and could tell mplayer
and Myth that it was actually a 16:9 display, and things behaved accordingly.
If you really want true 16:9, you gotta go with component video, VGA or DVI.
I'm running 960x540p for my Myth UI, standard-def TV, DVDs and xvid rips,
1920x1080i for HDTV content, over a VGA to component video transcoder. WAY
better than SVideo.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com