[mythtv-users] svideo max resolution...

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Mon Nov 29 05:08:04 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 08:01:02AM +1030, Michael Cheshire (Mailing Lists)
top-posted (grr):
> On Monday, November 29, 2004 7:48 AM ???, "Ijaaz A. Ullah"
> <ijaaz at digitalmethods.com> wrote:
> >Is the maximum displayable resolution over svideo 640x480?  I've been
> >having problems getting anything beyond that...  it would be nice to have
> >a 16:9 display over svideo.
> >
> AFAIK, there is no limit to the resolution you can send over SVIDEO - I am
> sure you can do at least 800x600 with the NVidia TV-OUT Cards.

NTSC is only good for 480 visible scanlines.  You can do 640x480 or 720x480
over S-video easily enough, but anything more than that will have to be
downsampled.

As for widescreen, since there's no provision in analog video for signaling
whether something should be displayed standard or widescreen, it's up to the
viewer to set the display appropriately.  If the source video is anamorphic
widescreen and the display can handle widescreen video, the display will
stretch the video out to the correct proportions.  (It's the same thing that
you do when you play a widescreen DVD on a widescreen TV.)

  _/_
 / v \ Scott Alfter