[mythtv-users] Alsa sound out

Peter Buelow pete at putzin.net
Sun Nov 28 07:05:54 UTC 2004

Jarod Wilson wrote:

>Two drivers trying to control the same device is definitely not good. The
>nvsound driver would have to be completely rewritten to operate under the
>ALSA framework. I've stayed strictly with ALSA drivers on all my boxes for
>some time, its just far better than OSS (obviously, since OSS was dumped in
>favor of ALSA in the 2.6 kernel).

You might think that after developing embedded drivers and software for
telecom hardware, I would have figured that out. To be fair, I thought
that nvsound was an add on, due to the way FC2 figured it all out. If
you load it "after" the alsa drivers, it tends to sort of work, so I
thought I had it right and worked on issues like why I couldn't get lirc
and ivtv to work. When those were done, I got to the more embedded
issues and found the sound problem. Now I'm into why the picture isn't
just right, why I can't use the remote exactly how I want to, and how to
make my computer a little quieter so I can stick it next to my tv.

>>Cool, thanks. I didn't find the config file option, but the command line
>>stuff, yeah. But does Myth actually use xine for anything? I haven't
>>found it yet if it does. So, I'm currently not configured for it and
>>unless there's a good reason, I probably won't. Love xine on my amd64
>>FC3 box though. Works great.
>>

>The default settings in mythdvd and mythvideo use mplayer, but you can easily
>substitute xine. On the DVD side, xine is better than mplayer if you want to
>be able to use DVD menus. I'm now using xine for pretty much everything
>instead of mplayer.

Thanks. I'll investigate that sometime during the week. I'm not really
considering replacing my current DVD player though, and I can't think of
much of a reason to have two players at this point. Sort of a theater
setup issue more than anything really. But this is good info. I'm trying
to keep track of all the problems I had through all this, and what I did
to fix them so I can help others as I kludge along.

-Pete