[mythtv-users] Alsa sound out

Peter Buelow pete at putzin.net
Sun Nov 28 05:00:01 UTC 2004

Jarod Wilson wrote:

>On Saturday 27 November 2004 16:50, Peter Buelow wrote:
>

>>Well, the big issue was that I had missed the MythMusic not having alsa
>>support. So, it obviously doesn't work with the alsa directive. Now I've
>>got /dev/adsp installed and there is sound coming out. Still some volume
>>issues, but that was with some old test mp3's, so they might have a
>>funky volume or something (or more alsamixer tweaking I guess). More
>>tests later this evening.
>>

>Ah yes, I'd forgot about that also. Haven't used MythMusic in quite a while.
>

>>The TV issues puzzles me more. It may have had something to do with
>>trying to use both nvsound and the intel drivers, but I'm not sure.
>>

>Ew, that's a very, very, very bad thing, pretty much guaranteed to cause
>problems.

This is what happens when you have an issue and spend hours googling. I
finally found the note about nvsound not supporting alsa either. So,
that's gone. I did some experimentation today though with it, and there
are some diff's when sending raw AC3 to the stereo, so if it ever does
support alsa, it might be worth it to switch. I guess I'll cross that
bridge when I get there. But yeah, trying to use them both was not
working well.

>>It
>>didn't work before I tried the nvsound stuff as well. But this
>>afternoon, recreated the capture card in setup, and then attached it to
>>ALSA:spdif, and it magically works. Dunno why. So, now I have sound all
>>throughout.
>>

>Go figure...
>

>>One other question about digital outputs. Will AC3 be automagically
>>passed through no matter what?
>>

>No. You have to check the box for "enable AC3 passthrough" in mythfrontend for
>MythTV to pass AC3. Both mplayer and xine (and Ogle, I presume) have to be
>configured independently to pass raw AC3.
>
>My ~/.mplayer/config file has this in it:
>
>ac=hwac3,
>
>The comma says "fall back to whatever is auto-detected, if not AC3".
>
>For xine, I've got these in ~/.xine/config:
>
>audio.speaker_arrangement:Pass Through
>
>audio.alsa_a52_device:spdif
>
>I believe both of those were actually set using the Xine configuration UI.
>
>(Yes, to those who might be wondering, I'm finally adding xine info to my
>docs).

Cool, thanks. I didn't find the config file option, but the command line
stuff, yeah. But does Myth actually use xine for anything? I haven't
found it yet if it does. So, I'm currently not configured for it and
unless there's a good reason, I probably won't. Love xine on my amd64
FC3 box though. Works great.