[mythtv-users] sound still too low for me at 100% levels

Michael Fenston fenston-myth at san.rr.com
Sat Nov 27 17:35:47 UTC 2004

My television has speakers built in and three separate inputs.  One
input is the mythbox, the second is the TIVO, and the third is a
DVD/VCR.  The TIVO and the DVD/VCR output sound to the TV at about the
same level for the level I need to be able to hear ok (about ~32 sound
ticks for my TV) ... on my mythbox I have a PVR-350 feeding the line-in
of the built in AD1980 in the mobo and then the output feeding the TV.
I have the levels jacked up to 100% in mythtv settings and verified that
line-in is at 100% during playback on the mythbox by viewing alsamixer
thru my vncsession to the box.  I also tried the mic-in and setting
everything to max that way.  My problem is the sound coming from the
AD1980 is still too low (I have to set my TV to ~42 sound ticks to hear
at the same level vs ~32 sound ticks on the other two devices).

Is there any off the shelf amp I can use between the AD1980 output and
the TV input?  Would another sound card take care of this potentially or
would I have the same problem?

TIA,

-Mike