[mythtv-users] Re: help - frontend crashing - atrpms nvidia problem?

Mike Jasper e394td at comcast.net
Sat Nov 27 15:13:23 UTC 2004

Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 09:21:04PM -0800, Mike Jasper wrote:
>
>>Axel Thimm wrote:

>>>Looks like your system has still a different nvidia kernel module
>>>running than what you switched to. In general this message means that
>>>different components (kernel, X driver, GLX) don't match in their
>>>version.
>>>
>>>Use nvidia-graphics-switch to ensure the right module is activated and
>>>also rmmod any nvidia modules (in case of doubt just reboot the
>>>system).
>>
>>Thanks Axel.  I've tried using nvidia-graphics-switch and rmmod-ing, but
>>lsmod has never shown that an incorrect nvidia module is loaded anyway,
>>and there aren't any other nvidia packages installed beyond the current
>>version that I'm using.
>

> Did you ever use non-packaged nvidia drivers and have now remnants of
> them in your system?
>
> check out with ldd which nvidia libs are linked against mythfrontend,
> also check
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia-graphics*
>
> for any stray nvidia drivers that are not part of the package. Finally
> your X logs will show up warnings at X start if GLX has not been found.

Axel et al.,

I found the problem - it had nothing to do with stray nvidia modules or
libraries.  The new myth packages enable XvMC by default (see recent
thread on this, entitled "ATrpms 0.16-82.1.rhfc2.at -> No XvMC found +
Segmentation fault").

In case anyone else goes through this - I had to go to Utilities/Setup >
Setup > TV Settings > Playback, then go through the pages to the
Hardware Decoder Settings page.  There, I had to UNCHECK "Use the
PVR-350's TV out/MPEG decoder" (not sure why that had gotten checked -
I've never checked it since I only have PVR-250s).  Also UNCHECK "Use
hardware XvMC MPEG Decoding."

--Mike