[mythtv-users] Frontend vs. backend: Which one needs to be faster?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 26 22:11:03 UTC 2004

The answer depends on what sort of hardware you have
for both.

If you plan on using software capture cards (like
BT878), then you definitely need a more powerful
backend (especially for multiple tuners).  On the
other hand, if you're using PVR-250's for capturing,
then you don't need as much power on the backend.

For the frontend, if you're not using accelerated
output (like the MPEG-2 decoding in a PVR-350 or an
Epia), then you need a reasonably powerful frontend
(depending on your recording settings).

This is not really a question that can be easily
answered, because it depends on a lot of factors.

-- Joe