[mythtv-users] Advice on mythtv setup needed

drbob drbob at gmx.co.uk
Fri Nov 26 20:59:35 UTC 2004

Hello,

I'm new here, I realise the questions below have probably been asked
before, if that annoys you, please stop reading now :-)

I'm currently deciding on how to set up a mythtv system. I already have
a headless debian stable machine (duron 1600) which I use as mail
server/filestore. I plan to upgrade it to debian testing (so as to have
qt3) add a couple of dvb-t cards, plus a 200Gb disc and use it as the
backend. Frontend will be a dual boot windows/gentoo duron 800 system
with 256Mb RAM and an ati radeon 7000. Will this be powerful enough?

I've been reading through the guides and the only thing I think I will
have major problems with is connecting the frontend to my displays.
Ideally I'd like to use dvi out to my projector at 854x480 resolution to
get 1:1 pixel mapping, I would also like to use tv-out (which looks like
it will be a nightmare to set up) for when I'm not using the projector -
How does mythtv deal with non standard resolutions? Will it refuse to
work at 854x480 or deal with it gracefully and does it support dynamic
switching of the resolution (for when I want to switch from using the
800x600 tv out to using the projector without restarting myth)? This
would need myth to recognise that the projector is 16x9 so needs
anamorphic output whilst the tv is 4:3 so would need letterbox output.
Does anyone out there already have a similar setup?

Thanks in advance for any help.

regards,

drbob