[mythtv-users] Converting a TiVO Series 2 to a Myth Box?

David Levine curiouskangaroo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 17:04:05 UTC 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:08:10 -0500, Joseph A. Caputo
<jcaputo1 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Check the site (www.xbox-linux.org); that method cannot be used on 100%
> of Xboxen, IIUC.

The latest XBox versions that are out there (v1.6) DO have a more
involved procedure for getting soft-modded, but it IS possible.

Here's where I started:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?act=ST&f=44&t=257509

I used the game "Splinter Cell" (found cheap used at game store).

To find the LTOOLS package mentioned in the tutorial, you need to go
to IRC channel #xbins on EFNet, and follow the instructions.  There is
a bot that will give you a temporary username and password for an FTP
site.  The files are at: /XBOX/Operating
Systems/linux/distributions/ltools

http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/xbins.php

I bought an extension cable for the XBox controller and an XBox memory
card.  I used an old USB extension cable I had lying around.  I cut
both extension cables and spliced them together, wire by wire.  No
soldering, just twisting wires together.  Then I was able to attach
the controller with memory card to my PC to transfer the files onto
it.  The tutorial linked above has a separate link to a tutorial for
doing this.

I didn't follow their directions for installing Linux, however.  Once
I had a new dashboard installed (I used MXM, but it sounds like EvoX
is a better choice for MythTV in general) I switched to following the
Xebian/Myth instructions at:

http://bit.blkbk.com/

I made sure the LiveCD of Xebian I had was 1.0.3, not the new 1.1.0
version, since the MythTV version for XBox I used (0.4.4) was for
1.0.3.  Apparently, if you're willing to try the 0.4.5 beta version of
Myth-XBox, that's built for Xebian 1.1.0.

My XBox reads DVD-Rs well, CD-RWs sometimes, and CD-Rs almost never.
So take this into consideration when making your burn of Xebian.

--David