[mythtv-users] MoBo+PVR150 or 350?

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 20:34:46 UTC 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:10:44 +0100, Sim <simon.hampton at freebel.net> wrote:
> On Monday 22 Nov 2004 21:05, Lane Schwartz wrote:
>

> > > Alternatively do I need a video card (or at least one with TV out) if I
> > > get a PVR350?  I thought I read that the 350 is rather limited for
> > > displaying anything but decoded MPEG2 streams - combination of the itv
> > > driver's limitations and the need to run X through the 350's framebuffer
> > > (and I admit I'm not quite sure what I'm writing here).
> >
> > AFAIK, it depends on what you want to do, and how experimental you want to
> > be. I *think* (and I don't have a 350, so I can't back this up), that
> > you're basically right. My suggestion would be to get a mobo that has
> > TV-out built-in, so you have it if you need it.
>
> But it is scarcely practical to keep switching the cable from the graphics
> card to the 350 and back, and I've only read about people not managing to get
> both outputs working in parallel.
>
> But my question is what does it mean that everything comes through a
> framebuffer - is that actually inferior quality or simply more processind
> needed?

That I don't know. You'll have to check with someone who has a 350.

My point about getting a mobo with tv-out was that if, for whatever
reason, you find that you can't do what you want to do acceptably with
the tv-out on the 350, you could fall back and use the tv-out on the
mobo.

Cheers,
Lane

--
"No, we've had no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11."
-- George W. Bush, 17 Sept 2003