[mythtv-users] Hardware Encoding

dbakker at arrayasolutions.com dbakker at arrayasolutions.com
Mon Nov 22 22:32:01 UTC 2004

Im going to put in a P4 3GHz 2nite. The settings I refer to are not for
the transcoding setup. It's for the cards LIVETV setup. I sometimes get
mpeg2video errors. Is that caused by it compressing the HDTV signal or
something else? I dont understand why my PVR card under LIVETV has its
compressor set to hardware where my HDTV card is set to mpeg4. Does anyone
have any insight into this? Should I tell it that the card is a PVR250 and
not a pchdtv? (Im running a HD3000)

Jarod Wilson <jcw at wilsonet.com>
Sent by: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
11/22/2004 04:29 PM
Please respond to
Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

Re: [mythtv-users] Hardware Encoding

On Monday 22 November 2004 12:56, dbakker at arrayasolutions.com wrote:
> It's already encoded?

The streams off a pcHDTV card are mpeg2 transport streams.

> How come when I go into the recording profiles
> under Hardware HDTV  it asks me if I want to use mpeg4 or rtjpeg for
> compession where with my PVR250 card it used Hardware encoding? Does
> mythtv have to re-encode the data for HDTV?

That might be for transcoding, not really sure.

> HDTV works great with VLC or xine. Mythtv is shaky and i get lots of
> mpeg2video errors.

Myth does a lot more than either VLC or xine (and how much more can
depending on your settings), so you may be running out of CPU. Myth is
rock-solid w/HDTV streams for me.

Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...