[mythtv-users] OT: mp3 normalization

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 22:18:09 UTC 2004

> Any audiophiles out there with knowledge on mp3gain? I would like to
> normalize all my mp3's -- I have encoded them using many methods
> throughout the years and the volumes just don't all match. I compiled
> mp3gain http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net. Any reason why I *shouldn't*
> 'mp3gain -r' my whole library?

This thread seems to demonstrate that mp3gain's file changes are
reversible and lossless
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16794&

As long as the method of normalization doesn't involve re-encoding the
file, you shouldn't lose any quality. mp3gain doesn't re-encode files,
it adjusts playback volume. A lot of earlier volume normalization
tools actually re-encoded your file and resulted in loss of
information (and with MP3, you've already lost a lot of information)

Audiophiles may argue about the intended volume levels for different
types of music, but then again, they'd probably rip music to a
lossless format like .wav or .shn or .ape and avoid .mp3 altogether.

If your music plays at all different volume levels, I'll bet that
*you* will be happier after normalizing *your* mp3s, regardless of
what any audiophile says :)

-Ross