[mythtv-users] QMYSQL3 driver not loaded??

Bill Toner bill at forefronttechnologiesinc.com
Mon Nov 22 08:11:09 UTC 2004

I'm stuck trying to install mythtv. I got to where you run the mythtv setup
program just before mythfilldatabase. setup (AKA mythsetup) gives me an
error:

    QSqlDatabase: QMYSQL3 driver not loaded
    QSqlDatabase: available drivers:
    QSqlDatabase: QMYSQL3 driver not loaded
    QSqlDatabase: available drivers:
    Unable to connect to database!
    No error type from QSqlError?  Strange...
    Unable to open database:
     Driver error was:
     Driver not loaded
    Database error was:
     Driver not loaded

This is using gentoo, gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.7-r14 kernel, emerge gave me
mysql4.0.22, qt3.3.3. I'm building mythtv manually from the sources as
downloaded from mythtv.org. From what searches I've done, setup seems to be
looking for some mysql plugin library files but cannot find them. strace
shows it's looking for something in these paths:

    /usr/kde/3.3/lib/kde3/plugins/sqldrivers/.
    /root/.kde/lib/kde3/plugins/sqldrivers/.
    /usr/qt/3/plugins/sqldrivers/.
    /usr/local/bin/sqldrivers/.

but the sqldrivers subdirectories do not exist in any of these locations. Some
gentoo forums stuff has said to try re-emerging qt making sure that mysql is
inthe USE flags, which it has been for over a week now, but that doesn't
help. Here's my USE flag set, is using the backslash to continue lines and
try to organize things better a legal syntax here??

USE="x86 mmx 3dnow sse \
     X xorg-x11 qt kde -gtk -gnome opengl truetype xinerama xmms \
     alsa -arts flac oggvorbis mad \
     cdr dvd dvdr \
     avi mpeg theora xvid quicktime transcode matroska \

     jpeg gif tiff png imlib xv \

     nvidia lirc v4l2 \

     sdl \

     zlib \

     python cscope \

     apache2 \

     kerberos xml acl cups mysql ldap pam readline oav \

     net joystick crypt -nls"

A number of these items I have no idea what they are, this list is a
combination of a few from various gentoo/mythtv howto-type docs. I'm also not
really sure if this is a mysql problem or a qt problem or a problem with my
gentoo setup somewhere. Most of the "solutions" I've found in gentoo forums
are form about a year ago dealing with qt paths. My paths are right to the
extent they can be, it's just the completely non-existent sqldrivers
subdirectories haunting me I think, but I don't know how to get them and
their expected contents put there.

I can connect to the mysql database mythconverg as either root or mythtv users
with no problem, using the mysql command in a shell window.

I appreciate any help!