[mythtv-users] Detecting crashes

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Mon Nov 22 17:17:08 UTC 2004

Jonathan Markevich wrote:

> Does anyone know how to detect crashes and hangs of either the
> frontend or backend?  I have been having to baby it every day these
> days, and I'd love a cron job to test if all is well or not.  I can't
> grep ps aux to see if the process is there, because it usually is
> there, just locked up.
>
> Has anyone else done this already?

Not to sidestep the question, but I'd spend my time trying to determine
the source of the lockup rather than working around it.  If it is a
problem with myth it will never get solved unless an effort is made to
track down the source.   There is a bit in the documentation on how to
troubleshoot and help in debugging.

Kevin