[mythtv-users] Combined Backend/Multiple frontend

Weston, Toby (ELS) T.Weston at elsevier.com
Mon Nov 22 12:49:47 UTC 2004

mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org wrote:
> On Monday 22 November 2004 12:14, Weston, Toby (ELS) wrote:
>> mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org wrote:
>>> I am currently renovating a house and I am looking at potential
>>> solutions for distributing tv/music/photos etc to any tv, and
>>> stumbled across MythTV. Being a long time linux fan, I wondered if
>>> it were possible to create a large backend box with several cpus,
>>> that could handle the PVR stuff and driver all tvs in the house.
>>>
>>> Setup would be
>>> - Dual Athlon 64
>>> - 1-2GB RAM
>>> - Two PVR 250/350 cards
>>> - Three or more AGP/PCI graphics cards with TV out
>>> - Multiple IR sender/receiver one for each TV.
>>>
>>> Each graphics card would be assigned a different X display and a
>>> separate instance of MythTV frontend running.
>>>
>>> Would this setup be possible?
>>> Has anybody tried it out?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Bruce P.B Collie
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just to be clear, you intend to have the graphics cards in seperate
>> front end machines right? 1 per front end? I understood these would
>> basically just read from the shared/networked disk on the backend
>> and display the recordings via their TV out. Other than that,
>> MythTV's all geared up for frontend/backend style distribution, lots
>> of people are using it that way (they'll probably be able to tell
>> you more).
>>
>> Cheers,

> I was intending in having the graphics cards in the backend machine
> as well
>
> Bruce.

oh right, well from what I know (correct me if I'm wrong), I don't think its
geared up that way, its certainly easier to have a graphics card with TV-out
in each front-end, the front end has the IR receiver etc and potentially
doesn't need a hard disk at all. The backend has your PVR cards and (say) 1
graphics card without TV-out. The PVRs etc write the encoded steams to a
shared/networked disk and all the front ends read it from here, decode it
using myth and display it to your telly via the TV-out. If you're going to
have an IR blaster, it/they would sit on the backend I think, one for each
cable/sat box.

Hope that helps,
Toby