[mythtv-users] 11/20 CVS and ALSA

David George david at thegeorges.us
Sun Nov 21 13:49:58 UTC 2004

On 11/21/2004 02:06 AM, Rob Rosenfeld wrote:

> I have been running 0.16 with ALSA with no audio problems for a month
> or so.  However, I was affected by the bug where the frontend would
> freeze as long as it was in a recording, so I decided to upgrade to
> CVS.  I built CVS with both OSS and ALSA support.  My kernel (2.6.9)
> has ALSA w/ OSS emulation configured.  It works fine (and fixes my
> freezes!) as long as I configure audio to use OSS devices in
> mythfrontend.  I have also confirmed that ALSA still works (there have
> been no changes) by running:

The version of Alsa that comes with 2.6.9 (1.0.6) is broken.  At least
it has problems with emu10k1 (Soundblaster) and ICH4 (Intel).  Currently
the best option is to download 1.0.5a from http://alsa-project.org and
use that.  I am currently testing with 1.0.7, but it still isn't quite
as reliable as 1.0.5a for me.

--
David