[mythtv-users] Hardware "Survey" (Pundit-R)

mythtv at heisterberg.dk mythtv at heisterberg.dk
Sat Nov 20 19:47:35 UTC 2004

I have a Pundit-R with a PVR-250. To get the capture card installed
without bending the chassis (too much) I had to insert the card into the
lower slot on the Pundit and even then it is a bit of a thight fit. It
works though and the chassis can close without any problems.

I'm going to install a second card soon and I have my eyes on the PVR-350
and I have come the conclusion that it will probably mean that I will have
to "work" the chassis a bit (and maybe even cut a little here and there).
I think it is ok since the modding will be hidden once you close the case.
As to the PVR-350 being a little longer - it should be ok since the tight
fit is height wise.

As to whether it is worth it - I think so.... The Pundit is the only case
I found that has a reasonable size and where you (teoretically) can fit 2
pci cards...  Most other bare-bones only have room for 1 pci.

The one thing to be aware of is that the Pundit hardware is rather new.
This means that the network card isn't suported with a standard Fedora
core 2 install (there is however a solution to this) and that the mobo
uses the atiixp audio driver which cause some problems. I seem to have
found the solution (with help from the forum) by switching to ALSA audio
and by modifying the latency_delay of the pci cards (not as hard or
"geeky" as it sounds). Once I verify that the setup works in the longer
run, I'm going to do a write up of the steps.

Hope the above helped/helps.

/lekkim

"Mark L. Cukier" <mark at pemicro.com>
Sent by: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
20-11-2004 20:14
Please respond to
Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
cc

Subject
[mythtv-users] Hardware "Survey" (Pundit-R)

Hello to All:

I'm in the process of setting up mythtv on my current computer. I've
allready ordered the PVR-350.

I was initially going to be reasonable and set everything up on my
desktop to make sure it was working before I went out and splurged on a
new dedicate system. BUT... in the process of setup, reading, etc I've
gotten myself too excited about all the awesome features of myth (I'm
currently an avid TiVo user/fan.. but this story has convinced me it's
time to eBay the TiVo and move to Myth:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=2026&e=1&u=/latimests/tivowillnolongerskippastadvertisers

) . To heck with reasonable, I'm going to splurge.

I have my eyes on the Pundit-R... I heard someone comment that the
PVR-250 "barely" fit into their pundit system. I noticed the 350 is a
bit longer! Does anyone here have a Pundit-R with a 350? I'm just
looking for confirmation that it will fit before I order the case.

I'd also be interested to hear any other recomendations for a sleek,
small case (with two PCI slots)-- or any other hardware recomendations.
I heard this site was a good place to go for hardware setups
http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-pvrhwdb.php .... but it doesn't seem to
work!

Thanks in Advance,
   Mark