[mythtv-users] Force Prebuffering Pause How To

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Sat Nov 20 17:21:42 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I really feel stupid, I can't het ALSA working.
without oss drivers installed. Have /dev/snd directory with :
crw-------  1 mythtv audio 116,  0 Jan  1  1970 controlC0
crw-------  1 mythtv audio 116, 24 Jan  1  1970 pcmC0D0c
crw-------  1 mythtv audio 116, 16 Jan  1  1970 pcmC0D0p
crw-------  1 mythtv audio 116, 17 Jan  1  1970 pcmC0D1p
crw-------  1 mythtv audio 116,  1 Jan  1  1970 seq
crw-------  1 mythtv audio 116, 33 Jan  1  1970 timer

running aplay whatever.wav works
TVtime works, I do have a Hauppaugue WinTVGo card with bttv chip and audio has
to be fed to line-in.

Xine playing a dvd.iso works.

mplayer dvd:// works ok with outputting:

audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
alsa-init: got device=0, subdevice=0
alsa-init: 1 soundcard found, using: default
alsa: 48000 Hz/2 channels/4 bpf/65536 bytes buffer/Signed 16 bit Little Endian
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian) (2 bps)
Building audio filter chain for 48000Hz/2ch/16bit -> 48000Hz/2ch/16bit...
Starting playback...

Downloaded cvs, compiled

mythfrontend > utilities/setup > setup > general > Audio output device
tried ALSA:pcm.front with mixer device default    NO GO
tried ALSA:PCM.front with  mixer device default    NO GO
tried pcm.front ALSA:spdif NO GO NO GO NO GO

Error message is:
GetSpaceOnSoundcard() called with pcm_handle == NULL!

What am I missing

Henk Schoneveld