[mythtv-users] HDTV decoding performance

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Nov 20 07:48:48 UTC 2004


On Nov 19, 2004, at 13:06, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> On Thursday 18 November 2004 19:58, Stephen Hocking wrote:
>>
>> Well, whilst my original question about AC3 preservation during 
>> transcoding
>> wasn't answered, I have had some interesting experiences after 
>> downloading
>> the 0.16 source tarball and compiling it up with athlon-specific 
>> flags (I'd
>> previously installed MythTV via AT-RPMS). Using -march=athlon-xp
>> -mfpmath=sse -msse -mmmx yielded improved speeds (HDTV watching with 
>> about
>> 50% utilisation) but a curious bug whereby only the top left-hand 
>> corner of
>> the program was visible. I did remember that there was some setup 
>> stuff to
>> deal with this, but was unable to find it.
>
> This is actually completely unrelated to the changes you made, its an 
> issues
> with Myth's xrandr support. I've seen it with both rpms and 
> source-based
> installs, as have others. It occasionally happens when the first thing 
> you
> watch after starting X is ATSC-sized. Restart X, enter an NTSC-sized 
> program,
> exit the program, then try your HD stuff, and all should be well from 
> there
> out.

I got that ass-backwards. Just bumped all my boxes to cvs, restarted 
for good measure, and ran into the same thing. This problem happens if 
the first thing you watch is NTSC. Watch something ATSC first, then 
everything should be fine from then out.

-- 
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
MythTV, Fedora Core & ATrpms documentation:
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/
MythTV Searchable Mailing List Archive
     http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: PGP.sig
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 186 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part
Url : http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/attachments/20041119/f8ce96ad/PGP.pgp


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list