[mythtv-users] How well does Unichrome work?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 20 05:44:39 UTC 2004

Currently my MythTV setup has a backend/frontend
machine with a PVR-250 for capture, and a PVR-350 for
capture/playback.  While this combination works great,
I am truly disappointed about not being able to use
xmame on the PVR-350.  I'm itching for my fix!  :)

So, after reading the archives and googling around,
one of the things that I am considering is something
with Unichrome based graphics.  Before I plunk down
the money for such a motherboard, I was wondering if
people could comment on how the picture quality is
using the Unichrome driver.  (I do realise that I'd
pretty much need to go with CVS, and I'm fine with
that).

(For reference, my problem with using a GeForce card
is that on my GeForce4 440MX card, watching something
like CNN with a ticker has a lot of jump to it.  It
might smooth out for a period of 30 seconds, but then
it jumps like mad.  This occurs regardless of any
settings I have tried).

So, anybody out there using the Unichrome driver, is
the picture nice and smooth?  Could I watch a CNN
ticker until I get extremely bored and not have it
skip a beat?  (The PVR-350 is excellent at this, the
ticker is perfectly crisp.)

Also, considering xmame, does anybody with a
higher-end Epia (the M10000, I believe) know if it has
enough power to play some of the middle-end ROMs, like
Mortal Kombat II and 3?  If not, perhaps I'd be better
off with a microATX Unichrome solution like an Abit
VA-10 (which uses the KM400 chipset).  If so, DMA
issues hopefully wouldn't be a problem, as I could do
the backend capture on another machine.

Thanks in advance for any information.

-- Joe