[mythtv-users] fedora core 3 x86_64 notes

stewart stewart at flybaker.com
Sat Nov 20 04:22:22 UTC 2004

Sorry if you see this again, I was having some issues with the
listserver when I previously
sent it, and I never found it in the archives.

Here are my notes so far for installing fedora core3 x86_64 on an
athlon64 machine.
So far everything is pretty smooth, I haven't tackled ivtv yet for my
pvr250.
-installed from core 3 x86_64 dvd.  Install was smooth, and everything
seems to work,
including sound and X.  Display out is to a benq XGA projector, which i
set up as an
1024x768 LCD.  It works fine.
-mysql server wouldn't install.  package manager thought it was on
cd 4 and refused to find it on the dvd.  finally figured out how to get
yum to install it.
-couldn't find an apt package that would install.  Looked at howto
instructions on the atrpms site to configure yum.  Slightly different,
the info needs to go into it's own file in /etc/yum.repos.d
-I have an nvidia card.  because of x86_64 and the fact that nvidia's
drivers have _always_ made my system unstable in the past, I didn't
even try their driver.
-I have a hauppauge tv-radio card and a pvr-250.  Haven't had time
to try to sort out the ivtv issues yet.  Have had a lot of trouble with
this in the past, so it's last.  However for the tv-radio card, it seems
the btaudio driver is now called msp3400.  -I used yum to install
mythtv.  it gave me the option of either mythtv or
 mythtv.x86_64.  This made me wonder where that option went for
 the mythtv-suite install for x86_64.  I installed the individual packages
 for x86_64 (there wasn't one for mythdvd yet).
-instead of installing a database I restored one from my previous system.
 This worked using the save/restore info from the documentation at
mythtv.org
-mythweb wouldn't work.  The problem turned out to be selinux.  I had
allowed the
 install to enable it, and it puts protections on the web server (so
that it can't do things
 like talk to a database or run a shell).  I don't know enough about
selinux to do anything
 but just shut it off.  So in /etc/selinux/config I set
SELINUX=permissive. The message I
got when going to the mythweb page was (included for search engines):
Warning at /var/www/html/mythweb/includes/init.php, line 62:
mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (13) Fatal Error at
/var/www/html/mythweb/includes/init.php, line 63:
Can't connect to the database server. Did you use the correct settings
in config/conf.php?

The system administrator has been notified and the problem will be
remedied shortly.

stewart at flybaker.com