[mythtv-users] Homebrew serial reciever/pci serial card "lirc_serial: IRQ 12 busy"

nate s nate.strickland at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 18:50:28 UTC 2004

Hi all

I recently buildt a homebrew serial reciever circut, and haven't
gotten it to work.  At first I thought I'd shorted out something, or
damaged a component when soldering or something like that, but just
today, as I was trying to solve mythbackend crashes, I noticed this in
my logs:

Nov 19 01:18:12 [kernel] lirc_serial: IRQ 12 busy

I realized that this may have something to do with the fact that I am
plugging it into a pci serial card rather than a normal one (as this
mobo doesn't have onboard serial.)  This card, I found out, has
non-standard irqs and io ports for serial ports, and I specified this
to lirc.

The first serial port, which I am successfully using to change
channels on a DTV box, is detected as ttyS4 and uses IRQ 12 and IO
a000

The second one, on which I want to put my ir reciever, shows up as
ttyS5 and also uses IRQ 12, and IO a400.

In addition to both serial ports being on IRQ12, cat /proc/interrupts shows:
 12:    5194058          XT-PIC  uhci_hcd, uhci_hcd, uhci_hcd

Could this have something to do with the problem?  Any suggestions
would be appriciated.

-Nate