[mythtv-users] Jitter reduced by changing aspect ratio to 16:9 ?

Krunoslav Pisacic k.pisacic at vip.hr
Fri Nov 19 15:13:18 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have rather limited capabilities PC acting as frontend-only (Celeron2-500 - see spec below). It is connected to a combined
backend/frontend serving mpeg2 streams from PVR250 and Nexus-S.
I see some jitter in a picture - is is not fluid as it should be, but strangely - when i switch to 16:9 aspect ratio ("W" key) all
the jitter is gone (default aspect ration is 4:3 because i have 4:3 display). Picture is perfectly fluid - in fact any other mode
(zone, stretch,..) is without jitter too!
This affects LiveTV and recorded shows from both cards. I dont have any prebuffering pauses, processor is ~80% (a little less when
playing Nexus-S stream).

AVIs (ffmpeg/mpeg4) served from same backend via NFS run without any problem (and with considerable less cpu usage).

Frontend is: Celeron 2 @ 500Mhz, 192Mb RAM, nVidia Riva TNT graphics card with nvidia drivers, FC1, mythtv 0.16-81-atrpms

Backend is: Pundit, P4 2.4Ghz, 512Mb, PVR250, Nexus-S, FC1, mythtv 0.16-80-atrpms (without any jitter playing on his frontend)

Any ideas? i would really like to watch in 4:3 - or else please persuade my wife we really need 16:9 :)

Thnx.

br,

	Krunoslav Pisacic