[mythtv-users] HD3000 Success!

Thomas M. Pluth tpluth at surewest.net
Fri Nov 19 08:48:07 UTC 2004

 I got my pcHDTV HD-3000 card up and running tonight!  There really wasn't
much to it.  Here's what I did ;

Existing Backend server - P4 2.8E on D865PERLK mobo, 1024MB RAM, 4 * 250GB
(recordings, music), Nvidia FX5200

Existing Frontend machine - P4 3.2E on D865GLC, 512MB RAM, 30GB 2.5" laptop
drive (quiet), Nvidia FX5500 connected to Sanyo PLV-Z2 projector via DVI
projecting on a 120" screen.

Built a new Backend server - P4 2.4, 1280MB RAM, 6 * 200GB HDD (video
storage), Nvidia Ti4200

Installed Fedora Core 3.  Install atrpms-kickstart. Updated with atrpms
(apt-get dist-upgrade)

Installed kernel-source-2.6.9-1.667 and built custom kernel (changed
Processor to P4, otherwise left as is)

Compiled HD-3000 drivers and tools from CD download and installed them

Ran minstall  to create /dev entries

Ran dtvsignal /dev/dtv 25   -  got 79% signal strength

Ran dtvsignal /dev/dtv 35  -   got 92% signal strength

Compiled mythtv from CVS (after apt-get of prerequisite libraries)

Configured new backend with the HD-3000 card  (setup)

Configured HD-3000 card

Fired up mythbackend on new server

Fired up mythfrontend on new server

Selected "Watch TV"

Hit "Y" a few times to cycle through the cards.  Was able to access the
PVR-250 and the HD-2000 on my master backend as well as the HD-3000 on the
new slave backend.  Same results from master backend server.  I've got to
fix a couple NFS mounts before I try in on the frontend machine.

We really need to see about getting Maxtor to cut MythTV users a break on
hard drive prices! LOL