[mythtv-users] Preserving HDTV AC3 audio stream whilst transcoding

Anthony Vito anthony.vito at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 14:30:14 UTC 2004

> There's also a post on the devel list refering to some work done by other
> people on a fast MPEG2 decoding algorithm. They were able to get 62fps
> from a 720p stream on a 933MHz P3 with a Geforce 2 MX440. If we could
> do something similar with the MythTV MPEG2 decoder, I suspect that a
> lot of my problems would go away. Even using the pcHDTV people's Xine
> tweaks (which I think use the XvMC Nvidia specific extension) would be
> a big help.

As I assumed, and was confirmed on the devel list, MythTV uses ffmpeg
for mpeg2 decoding. They sync up the code every once and while. I will
be diving into the wonders of ffmpeg C code and attempting to
implement what is in that paper. I hope to release patches against
MythTV for people to "try out" as I go. First, I'm going to spin off
an email to the guy that wrote it and see if he wants to donate ;)

--
Anthony Vito
anthony.vito at gmail.com