[mythtv-users] Preserving HDTV AC3 audio stream whilst transcoding

Stephen Hocking shocking at houston.rr.com
Thu Nov 18 05:02:40 UTC 2004

Kyle quoth....
> I would argue that:
>
> > I don't have quite the CPU required to view HDTV (1920x1080i) live or
> > recorded via the relevant MythTV modules (even though pcHDTV's xine will
> > chug along at 60% CPU whilst watching live TV)
>
> is the problem that needs to be solved.  I see the same difference,
> though my CPU is fast enough to watch HDTV from within myth.

Just out of curiousity, what speed CPU are you using, and what video card? I'm
trying all this with an AMD XP 2400+ and a Nvidia FX5200.

There's also a post on the devel list refering to some work done by other
people on a fast MPEG2 decoding algorithm. They were able to get 62fps
from a 720p stream on a 933MHz P3 with a Geforce 2 MX440. If we could
do something similar with the MythTV MPEG2 decoder, I suspect that a
lot of my problems would go away. Even using the pcHDTV people's Xine
tweaks (which I think use the XvMC Nvidia specific extension) would be
a big help.

	Stephen
--
  "I and the public know